Happy J18! In remembrance of Waterloo, Orgreave, the Carnival against Capitalism and other struggles here we are, making elderflower cordial in a beautiful rural squat. Things could be worse.
I did quite a lot of hunting for a decent recipe this year and this is my conclusion. No ascorbic acid used, only lemons, so very simple. We’ll see how it all matures, in a no fridge situation.
- 10 x elderflower heads (large or take two small for each one large)
- 1000g sugar eg one normal bag
- 600ml water
- 1 big lemon or two small – organic, unwaxed, grated and chopped
- heat/stir the sugar and water until sugar dissolves and then it boils (i boiled the water first for speed)
- grate lemon peel, chop up lemon, throw away ends, put in bowl with elderflower heads
- pour on syrup, stir
- leave for 24-48 hours
- drain out cordial and bottle